Emeritus titles are granted to eligible faculty via a retirement memoir submitted to the Regents for adoption. SPG 201.80 and Academic Human Resources provide detailed information about emeritus status, faculty eligibility and the internal unit approval process that needs to be complete prior to the submission of the memoir to the Office of the Vice President and Secretary. Since emeritus status cannot be granted prior to the date of full retirement (Regents’ Bylaw 5.19), we encourage units to submit retirement memoirs at the Regents’ meeting that is closest to the final retirement date. The submitted draft version of the memoir will be reviewed for length, style, accuracy and clarity. If a faculty member dies during their active service to the university, a memorial statement will be adopted by the Regents in lieu of a retirement memoir.
Retirement memoir and memorial statement submission checklist:
- The faculty member’s retirement/termination PAR must be in place and approved prior to the memoir submission.
- Departments, units, and schools/colleges have unique, internal approval protocols for emeritus status recommendations, which often includes their executive committees. These internal approvals must be obtained prior to the submission of the memoir to the Office of the Vice President and Secretary.
- The retirement memoir template and the memorial statement template have 1” margins (top, bottom, left and right) and use 12 point Times New Roman font.
- Sample memoirs (PDF) and memorial statements (PDF).
- The MS Word draft version of the memoir, the faculty member’s most recent C.V., and a copy of the retirement agreement letter must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadlines listed below.
|Regents’ Meeting Date||Memoir/Memorial Deadline|
|No Jan 2021 meeting||No Jan 2021 meeting|
|February 18, 2021||January 15, 2021|
|March 25, 2021||February 19, 2021|
|No April 2021 meeting||No April 2021 meeting|
|May 20, 2021||April 9, 2021|
|June 17, 2021||May 14, 2021|
|July 15, 2021||June 11, 2021|
|No August 2021 meeting||No August 2021 meeting|
|September 23, 2021||August 13, 2021|
|October 21, 2021||September 10, 2021|
|No November 2021 meeting||No November 2021 meeting|
|December 9, 2021||October 22, 2021|