Emeritus titles are granted to eligible faculty via a retirement memoir submitted to the Regents for adoption. SPG 201.80 and Academic Human Resources provide detailed information about emeritus status, faculty eligibility and the internal unit approval process that needs to be complete prior to the submission of the memoir to the Office of the Vice President and Secretary. Since emeritus status cannot be granted prior to the date of full retirement (Regents’ Bylaw 5.19), we encourage units to submit retirement memoirs at the Regents’ meeting that is closest to the final retirement date. The submitted draft version of the memoir will be reviewed for length, style, accuracy and clarity. If a faculty member dies during their active service to the university, a memorial statement will be adopted by the Regents in lieu of a retirement memoir.
Retirement memoir and memorial statement submission checklist:
- The faculty member’s retirement/termination PAR must be in place and approved prior to the memoir submission.
- Departments, units, and schools/colleges have unique, internal approval protocols for emeritus status recommendations, which often includes their executive committees. These internal approvals must be obtained prior to the submission of the memoir to the Office of the Vice President and Secretary.
- The retirement memoir template and the memorial statement template have 1” margins (top, bottom, left and right) and use 12 point Times New Roman font.
- Sample memoirs (PDF) and memorial statements (PDF).
- The MS Word draft version of the memoir, the faculty member’s most recent C.V., and a copy of the retirement agreement letter must be submitted to email@example.com by the deadlines listed below.
|Regents’ Meeting Date||Memoir/Memorial Deadline|
|No Jan 2023 meeting||No Jan 2023 meeting|
|February 16, 2023||January 13, 2023|
|March 23, 2023||February 17, 2023|
|No April 2023 meeting||No April 2023 meeting|
|May 18, 2023||April 7, 2023|
|June 15, 2023||May 12, 2023|
|July 20, 2023||June 9, 2023|
|No August 2023 meeting||No August 2023 meeting|
|September 21, 2023||August 11, 2023|
|October 19, 2023||September 8, 2023|
|No November 2023 meeting||No November 2023 meeting|
|December 7, 2023||October 20, 2023|